SFD or Accessory Dwelling

** IMPORTANT** Contractors:  Please submit a copy of your workers compensation insurance certificate with your application.  Thank you !

Use this form for: 

  • Single Family Dwelling, Stick Built House, Modular Home, Manufactured Home, or Accessory Dwelling.
    • If you are building your own house and are not a licensed general contractor, you must submit a properly executed General Contractor Exemption Form.
  • For other permit types, return to the Building Permits page and select appropriate permit type.

    Click Here for Application Form (Instructions Below).

     Be sure you submit any required supplemental documents with your application.

Supplemental Documents Required for Permit:

  • Site Plan Drawing - Can be hand drawn, does not have to be perfect
    • Show location of principal residence
    • Show location of proposed project
    • Show location of septic system and drain lines
    • *NEW* - Show location of ANY proposed fill which is above and beyond house pad & septic
  • Building Plans
  • Elevation Certificate (if in a flood zone)
  • CAMA Permit (Waterfront property only)
    • Contact info for Coastal Area Management Agency: 
      • Suite 300, 401 S. Griffin Street, Elizabeth City, NC, 27909
      • Phone: (252) 264-3901, Fax: (252) 331-2951
  • Septic Permit obtained or "Existing System Check" from Camden County Health Department.  "Existing Systems Check" is required to know the location of your septic tank/drain lines. 
    • P. O. Box 72, 160 US Hwy 158 East #B, Camden, NC, 27921
    • Phone: (252) 338-4460, Fax: (252) 338-4475
    • Contact info for Camden County Health Dept.:
  • All Taxes on Property Must Be Paid PRIOR to Application
    • 117 NC 343 North, Camden, NC, 27921
    • Phone: (252) 338-1919 x 236
  • Water Tap Fee Must Be Paid (or proof of existing water tap provided) PRIOR to Application
    • For Addresses in Camden and Shiloh
      • Contact Camden County Water Department:
      • 117 NC 343 North, Camden, NC, 27921
      • Phone: (252) 338-1919 x 236
    • For Addresses in South Mills:
      • Contact South Mills Water Association
      • 103 Halstead Street, South Mills, NC, 27976
      • Phone: (252) 771-5620
  • Appoint a Lien Agent - Property owner, or as typical with permit applications, the contractor on their behalf, must appoint a lien agent when they first contract for improvements to real property. A lien agent is a title insurer or agent also registered as a lien agent with the NC Department of Insurance. This is required with a few exceptions.
  • Fill Permit Form (Required for ANY dwelling permit)


  • Type permit information into the text-box fields on the form and/or any appropriate check-boxes.
  • Fill in what you know, anything you don't know - leave blank.
  • Most permits require supplemental documents such as site plans, building plans, and so forth.
    • Supplemental documents required for this permit type are listed above.
    • If you want to email your application package, scan your supplemental documents to pdf or take jpg picture of each page using a camera or smartphone.
    • If you submit your application via email, be sure to include your supplemental documents in your email.  Otherwise bring a printed copy of all supplemental documents when you bring your application to the Planning Department.
  • Be sure to sign and date your application.
  • Once you have filled out the form and created digital files of the supplemental documents, email them to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for processing.
  • We will notify you via email or phone when your permit is ready for pickup.

Saving Your Work to Continue Later:

Saving data may or may not be supported via your browser's pdf reader add-on.  If you have Adobe Pro or Adobe Reader DC, you can save or download the form and fill it out locally on your computer.  Local copies may be saved.  Saved copies of the fillable form may be emailed, although it is recommended to print your application to a pdf using a print-to-pdf program. 

Powered by Phoca Download

Planning Department

P.O. Box 74 117 NC Hwy 343 North Camden, NC 27921 (252) 338-1919 x 235 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.