Accessory Dwelling Unit


Use this form for the following types of building permits

  • Accessory Dwelling Unit

Application link & form instructions are at bottom of page.

Standards for Accessory Dwelling Units
(Unified Development Ordinance § 4.5.5)

A.  Accessory Dwelling Units
    Accessory dwelling units shall comply with the following standards:
    1.  General Requirements
        a.  Accessory dwelling units may be located within a principal structure
            (e.g., a downstairs apartment), as a freestanding building, or above a
            detached outbuilding.
        b.  The use of manufactured homes, travel trailers, campers, tractor
            trailers, or similar vehicles as an accessory dwelling unit is
        c.  Not more than one accessory dwelling unit per lot is permitted.
        d.  Where there is no public sanitary sewer service available to the
            accessory apartment, the applicant shall provide an approval from the
            Albemarle Regional Health Department for the accessory dwelling unit.
    2.  Maximum Size
        a.  An accessory dwelling unit shall have a heated floor area of at least
            300 square feet, but shall not exceed 1200 square feet.
        b.  An accessory dwelling unit shall have a maximum of two bedrooms and at
            least one full bathroom.
    3.  Configuration
        a.  At least one, but no more than two, off-street parking spaces shall be
            provided for an accessory dwelling unit (in addition to the required
            off-street parking serving the principal use).
        b.  The accessory dwelling unit shall be served by the same driveway serving
            the principal use.
        c.  Accessory dwelling units shall not be sold apart from the principal
        d.  Accessory dwelling units may be used for home occupation uses but in no
            instance shall more than one home occupation use be conducted on a
            single lot.

Obtain and Supply the Following WITH Application Forms

  • Site Plan Drawing (Not same as plat map) - Can be hand drawn, does not have to be perfect
    • Show location of principal residence
    • Show location of proposed project
    • Show location of septic system and drain lines
  • Building Plans
  • Elevation Certificate (if in a flood zone)
  • CAMA Permit (Waterfront property only)
    • Field Representative: Lynn Mathis
    • 401 S. Griffin Street, Elizabeth City, NC, 27909
    • Phone: (252) 264-3901, Fax: (252) 331-2951
    • Contact info for Coastal Area Management Agency:
  • Septic Permit (obtain from Camden County Health Department)
    • Contact Person: Kevin Carver or David Sweeny
    • P. O. Box 72, 160 US Hwy 158 East #B, Camden, NC, 27921
    • Phone: (252) 338-4460, Fax: (252) 338-4475
    • Contact info for Camden County Health Dept.:
  • All Taxes on Property Must Be Paid PRIOR to Application
  • Water Tap Fee Must Be Paid (or proof of existing water tap provided) PRIOR to Application
    • Contact Person: Dawn Lowry
    • 117 NC 343 North, Camden, NC, 27921
    • Phone: (252) 338-1919 x 236
    • Contact Person: Regina Russell
    • 103 Halstead Street, South Mills, NC, 27976
    • Phone: (252) 771-5620
    • For Addresses in Camden and Shiloh:  Camden County Water Department
    • For addresses in South Mills:  South Mills Water Association
  • Liens NC - New Requirement as of April 1, 2013, contractors of all new residential construction (dwellings) must apply for and obtain a lien agent (title insurance) for each individual single family dwelling project undertaken.
    • Instructions for obtaining your lien agent may be found on the Planning Department landing page located at , scroll down until you see "New Requirements (2) For Building Permits".  Liens NC is New Requirement #1.
    • PDF documents for the Instructions, pre-application worksheet, list of agents, and designation form are located just under the NC GS code  as is the link to the website where you will apply for your lien agent.
    • Once you have completed this process, Liens NC will present you with a page which has a square QR Code.  This is the page you will print out and include a copy of with your building permit application.
  • Fill Permit - New Requirement - Fill Permit is now required for all permits wherein fill is to be placed on the subject property.  Even if you are not placing fill, we must have this form on file.

 Application Link & Form Instructions:


Use this form for Accessory Dwelling Units

This form is not for primary residences (i.e. stick built houses, modular or mobile home dwellings).  For building permits for primary residence dwellings, click the 'Building Permits' link on the menu above and to the left, and select the appropriate project type.


  • Type permit information into the text-box fields on the form, make selections from drop down boxes, also click any appropriate check-boxes.
  • Fill in what you know, anything you don't know - leave blank. Please note that items with a red asterisk (*) are required. 
    • If a required item is not applicable, either select or type N/A or place a zero (0) in the field.
  • Most permits require supplemental documents such as site plans, building plans, and so forth.
    • Supplemental documents required for this permit type include but not limited to: 
      • Site Plan Drawing (Not same as plat map) - Can be hand drawn, does not have to be perfect
        • Show location of principal residence
        • Show location of proposed project
        • Show location of septic system and drain lines
      • Building Plans
      • Elevation Certificate if in a flood zone
      • Existing System Check for your Septic System Depending on Proposed Location of New Building
      • Affidavit of Signature (download blank file from link then fill out and snap picture or scan to pdf or jpg). 
    • Scan your supplemental documents to pdf or take jpg picture of each page using a camera or smartphone. 
    • Upload your supplemental documents in the section for each type of document.  Multiple file uploads are supported for each type of document.
  • The "Affidavit of Signature" file is how you will sign your application.  This form is required.  You cannot submit your application without it.
  • Once you have filled out the form and uploaded the supplemental documents, click the submit button.  Any missing items will be highlighted.  If your submission is successful, you will see a screen thanking you for your submission.
  • We will notify you via email when your permit is ready for pickup.

Please Note: 

Form data is not persistent.  If you fill out part of the form and leave the page you will have to start over.  The form does not save data entered into it.  Your permit data must be entered and submitted in the same session.  We recommend reviewing the required supplemental documentation section first, gathering all your data, then filling out the form and submitting it.

Powered by Phoca Download

Building Inspector

Barbara Rhoads Chief Building Inspector P.O. Box 74, 117 North NC 343 Camden, NC 27921 (252) 338-1919 x227