Stick Built House OR Commercial Buildings

Obtain and Supply the Following WITH Application Forms

  • Site Plan Drawing
  • Building Plans
  • Elevation Certificate (if in a flood zone)
  • CAMA Permit (Waterfront property only)
    • Contact info for Coastal Area Management Agency:
      • Field Representative: Lynn Mathis
      • 401 S. Griffin Street, Elizabeth City, NC, 27909
      • Phone: (252) 264-3901, Fax: (252) 331-2951
  • Septic Permit (obtain from Camden County Health Department)
    • Contact info for Camden County Health Dept.:
      • Contact Person: Kevin Carver or David Sweeny
      • P. O. Box 72, 160 US Hwy 158 East #B, Camden, NC, 27921
      • Phone: (252) 338-4460, Fax: (252) 338-4475
  • All Taxes on Property Must Be Paid PRIOR to Application
  • Water Tap Fee Must Be Paid (or proof of existing water tap provided) PRIOR to Application
    • For Addresses in Camden and Shiloh:  Camden County Water Department
      • Contact Person: Dawn Lowry
      • 117 NC 343 North, Camden, NC, 27921
      • Phone: (252) 338-1919 x 236
    • For addresses in South Mills:  South Mills Water Association
      • Contact Person: Regina Russell
      • 103 Halstead Street, South Mills, NC, 27976
      • Phone: (252) 771-5620
  • Liens NC - New Requirement as of April 1, 2013, contractors of all new residential construction (dwellings) must apply for and obtain a lien agent (title insurance) for each individual single family dwelling project undertaken.
    • Instructions for obtaining your lien agent may be found on the Planning Department landing page located at , scroll down until you see "New Requirements (2) For Building Permits".  Liens NC is New Requirement #1.
    • PDF documents for the Instructions, pre-application worksheet, list of agents, and designation form are located just under the NC GS code  as is the link to the website where you will apply for your lien agent.
    • Once you have completed this process, Liens NC will present you with a page which has a square QR Code.  This is the page you will print out and include a copy of with your building permit application.
  • Fill Permit - New Requirement - Fill Permit is now required for all permits wherein fill is to be placed on the subject property.  Even if you are not placing fill, we must have this form on file.



Full Application Package may be downloaded by clicking here:  SFD Application Package

If you choose to use the above file and fill out via Adobe PDF Reader's Comment Function,
PLEASE use 10 Point Arial Font and Color Black for your data.

If you use the below 4 page Application, please note it is a data input system.  You enter your information, click Print Application, it opens a new window with your data formatted for printing. 
Please see Form for instruction regarding how to make form print properly with supported margins etc.

IMPORTANT:  Form Has Been Updated.  Once on Form Page, Press Ctrl-F5 to refresh your browser so you will load the most current version of form.

If you use a popup blocker, you need to add '' to your list of trusted sites, or turn off your popup blocker in order to use our online application system.

Use this form for the following types of building permits

  • Single Family Dwelling, Stick Built House Only.
  • House built from the ground up ONLY.
  • OR Commercial Building.

This form is not for modular or mobile home dwellings, or any other project that is not a stick built dwelling OR a commercial building. For these types of projects, click the 'Permits' button on the toolbar above, and select the appropriate project type.

FORM INSTRUCTIONS: Type permit information into the textbox fields on the form, also click any appropriate checkboxes. Fill in what you know, anything you don't know - leave blank. To print, click the "View & Print Application" button on the form. This will open a new window with your information typed on a printable form.

PRINTING INSTRUCTIONS: Margins for printing the form are as follows: 0.5 Left, 0.5 Right, 0.5 Top, and 0.6 Bottom or less, in order to ensure proper printing. Set your margins as indicated by going into the page setup of your browser. Perform a print preview to make sure all areas of the form will print on each page as intended. If using Internet Explorer 7.0 or up, use print preview and the 'shrink to fit' feature to ensure that this 5-page form prints on 5 pages as intended. Be sure to save or print a copy of the printable form for your records (after having clicked "View & Print Application", there are buttons on form for print and save).

If Homeowner is acting as thier own general contractor (Notarize).

Goes with the General Contractor Exemption questionnaire. Fill out and return.

Powered by Phoca Download

Building Inspector

Barbara Rhoads Chief Building Inspector P.O. Box 74, 117 North NC 343 Camden, NC 27921 (252) 338-1919 x227