Raymond Creek Settlement

The first settlers who settled on the north side of the Pasquotank River located themselves along Fleming Creek, currently known as Raymond's Creek. George Fleming established a small residence that was about 12 feet wide and 18 feet long with dirt floors. This took place before the Albemarle Territory was given to eight Lord's Proprietors by Charles II in 1663. The County of Albemarle became the Province of North Carolina in 1689.

By 1700 Fleming Creek became known as Raymond's Creek, named after William Raymond. The Raymond Creek area soon became the most popular community on the northeast side of the river with two places to worship: "Down River Chapel", established by the Anglican Church and the "Baptist Meeting Place", at the mouth of Raymond's Creek established in 1727. [Editor's Note: The 'Baptist Meeting Place' referred to is the 'Shiloh Baptist Church', which was organized by William Burges in 1727. They met at his home for lack of any other place of worship until 1736 when the first Shiloh Baptist Church building was built.].

Click to Enlarge

Old Trap Store

The "Trap" first appeared in Camden records after the Revolutionary War and is said to have been given the name by local women who became irate when their husbands stayed too long at a grogshop (store) on their way to and from the windmill on the river. After 1800 the Trap became known as "Old Trap" and was officially used when the post office opened in 1881.

Click to Enlarge

Brick Store at Old Trap

The brick store at Old Trap was built in 1927 and it was operated by Martin Hubbard, Elroy Pugh, and Jim Burgess. Jim Burgess sold out and it was then operated by Hubbard and Pugh. Elroy Pugh sold out in 1947 and the store was renamed Riggs and Riggs. In 1955 Warren Riggs bought the store but his mother, 'Miss Ellie', continued to operate it until 1961 when Warren took over and became the 'unofficial mayor of Old Trap'.

Even though ownership of the store changed through the years, its purpose remained the same - to provide entertainment for the local men in the community and of course it did provide groceries and daily supplies to households. Card games, dominos, and even pool in the back room, kept the men coming to the store and staying late into the night up until its closing. It was the central spot for communication as men stayed well informed on local gossip, county government, and other political issues facing our state and country at that time. The legacy of 'Old Trap' remained until its final closing in 1997.

Click to Enlarge