The Wade Point Lighthouse served as the Pasquotank River's sentinel for almost 100 years from 1859 to 1955. The screw-pile lighthouse was a 26 foot square building which rested on 5 steel pilings with the floor about 12 feet above the water's surface. The original lighthouse was burned by Union forces (during the Civil War) in 1862 and was not rebuilt until after the war. The lighthouse served the Pasquotank River until 1955 when the US Coast Guard decommissioned it and sold it to Elijah Tate from Coinjock for $1.00. The structure was destroyed when it slipped off the barge during a storm into the Pasquotank River. Today the pilings are still visible off Camden Point.
Click to Enlarge