Historic sites in the Courthouse Township of Camden include a church, a Masonic Lodge, and several houses of historic significance.

St Joseph Episcopal Church

St Joseph Episcopal Church stood in front of the Camden County Courthouse a little to the north on NC Route 343. The church was built on land donated by Thomas Sawyer shortly after 1715. Picture was taken about 1915.

Click to Enlarge

Widow's Son Masonic Lodge

The Widow's Son Masonic Lodge is located on NC Hwy 343 just south of the Camden Courthouse. It was built in a Greek Revival architectural style, and serves as a social gathering place for the Masonic Order in Camden County. According to the National Register of Historic Sites, the period of historical significance for the building itself is somewhere between 1850 and 1899, with the actual date of construction unknown, but was probably built sometime prior to 1815. According to the Masonic Grand Lodge of NC Archival Data, in 1820, Widow's Son Masonic Lodge No 75, joined with the Masonic Grand Lodge of NC and is still an active member. (The Masonic Grand Lodge of NC was organized in 1787).

Click to Enlarge

Caleb Grandy House

Below is the house that belonged to Caleb Grandy, Camden's first Sheriff. The house was built in 1787, and still stands. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Click to Enlarge

Milford House

Milford House, also known as Rolfe-Green-Sawyer House, is the oldest known two-story brick house still standing in North Carolina. Milford House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It's construction date (1746) is inscribed on one of its chimney bricks. The brickwork is of Flemish bond design with glazed headers. Milford House features plastered cove cornices, which are unique in colonial architecture south of Maryland. In the pictures shown below, farm animals can be seen, and thus it is easy to surmise that the house was once part of a farm or plantation during the height of its hayday back in the 1800's.

Click to Enlarge