You can retrieve land records from your computer beginning with May 3, 1999 at

Q. Where is your office located?

A. We are located at 117 N Highway 343 Camden NC 27921 at the back of the Historic Camden Courthouse Building directly across from the Sheriff's office. Our mailing address is Camden County Register of Deeds, P. O. Box 64, Camden NC 27921.

Q. What are your hours of operation?

A. The office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Applications for marriage are only accepted between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Instrument Recordings are accepted between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

Q. What is a deed?

A. A deed is an instrument by which an interest in real property is transferred from a grantor (a person or entity who conveys real estate) to a grantee (a person or entity to whom real estate is conveyed) upon delivery of the writing to the grantee. Deeds are recorded in the county where the land lies.

Q. Does a deed have to be recorded?

A. A deed should be recorded as promptly after the transaction as possible. Although there is no time limit on recording, except deeds of gift, failure to record a deed could render the transfer or mortgaging of the property impossible and create numerous legal difficulties.

Q. Why Record Documents?

A. Documents are recorded in the county's official records to publicly declare their existence and enactment. Anyone can research these records to identify property ownership and liens placed against property.

Q. How are Documents Recorded?

A.There are several steps, which occur before any document is recorded.

  • Your document is reviewed to make sure it meets state-mandated and local recordation rules.
  • The appropriate fees and taxes are collected.
  • Each document is assigned Identifying numbers.
  • The names contained in the document are added to the index.
  • Your document is archived and verified.
  • The original document is sent back to you or your agent.

Q. Can a map of the property be attached to a deed?

A. Yes, as long as it has been reviewed and signed by the Camden County Review Officer. It must measure 8.5"x14" or 8.5"x11".

Q. What are the prerequisites to recording an instrument?

A. Payment of recording fees, payment of the Real Estate Excise Tax (for deeds), name of preparer, Grantee (buyer) name & address, Grantor (seller) name & address, acknowledgment (notarization). Note: North Carolina Recording Standards must be met or additional fees will apply. Fees.

Q. What is a Real Estate Land Transfer & Excise Tax, and who is responsible for the payment of such?

A. Real Estate Excise Tax, also known as Revenue Stamps, is imposed by North Carolina Law (G.S. 105-228.28) and collected by the Register of Deeds at the time of recording. The tax is levied on conveyances of an interest in real estate by all persons and organizations except federal, state, county, and municipal governments and their instrumentalities. In Camden County the tax is broken down in two parts. The Grantor/Seller pays the excise tax to the Register of Deeds of the county in which the land is located. The rate of the excise tax is $2.00 per $1,000 or fractional part thereof, on the consideration or value of the interest or property conveyed. The Land Transfer Tax is paid to the tax office with a separate check. The rate is 1% of the selling price. To willfully and knowingly fail to pay the correct amount of the tax or for anyone to aid, abet, or direct any other persons to fail to pay is a misdemeanor for any transferor or his agent.

In Camden County a deed must go to the tax office for certification before the Register of Deeds office can record it. An Affidavit of Consideration or Value form must be completed.

Q. How are names transferred on a deed?

A. You will need to draw up a new deed. You should see an attorney for this service unless you are familiar with drawing up legal documents.

Q. Does an instrument need to be notarized before it can be recorded?

A. Almost all instruments presented for recording first must be acknowledged (notarized) before the Register of Deeds can record the instrument. Notaries Public are authorized by North Carolina law to perform this duty.

Q. Can I prepare my own deed and have it recorded?

A. North Carolina law allows you to prepare a Deed of Conveyance for any real property to which you have legal title. However, the conveyance of real property is a legal matter that should be given under and with the advice of legal counsel. Should you decide not to have an attorney do a title search, and you proceed to acquire a loan at a financial institution, your loan may be refused because of the lack of a title search. For NC Recording Standards see Fees.

Q. Can a minor's name be put on a deed?

A. Yes. However, one should consult an attorney-at-law before doing so.

Q. Do I have to be present in order to record a document?

A. No. Anyone can present an instrument for recording. The person who presents the instrument can be a party to the instrument, but it is not required by law. Documents and payment can also be sent by Postal Mail, FedEx and UPS.

Q. Can the Register of Deeds tell me who owns property at a specific address or pull up property by PIN number?

A. No. You need to contact the Camden Tax Office.

Q. Can I get copies of my neighbors or other persons deeds and other recorded documents? How do I obtain a copy of my deed, deed of trust or other land records?

A. Yes. Basically, all instruments recorded are public records that are protected by the public records law. However, you must first pay the necessary fees for such before obtaining any copies. You need to know the name in which the property is recorded and the year it was purchased or recorded. If in doubt contact the tax office. If you know the correct deed book and page you may request the instruments by mail. Enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope and a processing fee of $1.00 per copy for mailed requests. Fees

Q. What are the requirements for recording plats?

A. The size requirement for recording a plat in Camden County is 18 X 24 inches. Freestanding plats must have at least a 1 1/2 inch border on the left side and at least a 1/2 inch border on the other three sides. A plat presented for recording shall be on mylar. The fee for recording a plat is $21 per plat.

G.S. 47-30.2 requires counties to designate review officers to review plats for compliance with all statutory requirements before thee plats are registered. The Review Officer must affix his or her certification to the map.

Camden County currently has a Review Officers appointed in the Planning and GIS Departments.

Yes. However, the necessary fee first must be paid before this service can be provided. Fees.

Military Discharges

The Register of Deeds office records military separation documents known as a DD214 record. Military discharges have restricted public access. There is no charge to record or obtain a copy of a military discharge. The service member must provide a government-issued ID to record or obtain certified copies of military discharges. However, NC General Statue 47-113.2 allows authorized parties to record of request certified copies of recorded military discharges. Authorized parties include:

  • Subject of the record
  • Widow or widower of deceased spouse
  • Agents and representatives of the subject authorized in writing by the subject.
  • Authorized agents of Veterans Affairs
  • Authorized court official with an interest in assisting the subject
  • NC State Archives

Q. Can I get a copy of a will from your office?

A. No. The Clerk of Court handles the probate of wills (proceedings to determine if a paper writing is a valid will) and the administration of estates of decedents, minors and incompetents.

Q. How do I find out about outstanding liens (mechanics liens) and judgements?

A. Contact the Camden County Clerk of Court office at the Camden Courthouse or call their office at 252 331-4871.

Q. Can the Register of Deeds office advise if I have a good and clear title?

A. No. Attorneys, professional title examiners or abstractors utilize the records in our office and those of other offices to determine if the title is free and clear of encumbrances.

Title research by Register of Deeds employees is prohibited by law.

Q. Does the Register of Deeds office record instruments that are not real property, personal property, or vital records?

A. Yes. The following are some of the other instruments recorded in the Register of Deeds office.

  • Assumed name certificates
  • Bankruptcy records
  • Official bonds
  • Notary Oaths
  • Corporations
  • Land Titles (Torrens)
  • Limited Partnerships
  • Waste Disposal
  • Judgments
  • Assessments of water & sewer authorities
  • ...Others

Q. Do you have forms for Power of Attorneys, Deeds, Separation Agreements, etc.?

A. No, we do not have legal forms; we suggest you see an attorney for this service.

Q. What if I have a question or need documents prepared?

A. Due to liability reasons, our office is unable to answer certain questions over the telephone or in person. We unable to give legal advice; therefore, you should direct your legal questions to an attorney. The Register of Deeds Office is a recording agency and the information given out is limited. Consequently, we cannot prepare deeds or other document.


Register of Deeds

Tammie Krauss Register of Deeds P.O. Box 64 117 N. Hwy 343 Camden, NC 27921 252-338-1919 x244