There have been 3 jail houses built on the site where the current Historic Jailhouse now sits. The first jail was used until the 1880's; after which, a second jail was constructed. The second jail burned down in 1910 as a result of an attempted escape. The third jailhouse was constructed of brick, in 1910, and served the county until the 1940's when Camden began sending its prisoners to the Tri-County Jail, which currently houses prisoners from Camden, Pasquotank, and Perquimans.

The third jail, a two-story structure, has been restored to its original appearance. The first floor now houses the Board of Elections. The second floor has the original bull-pen containing 4 cells. Also on the second floor is a small museum which uses pictures and artifacts to relate the history of Camden. Outside, stocks and a pillory have been rebuilt to show punishment used in the 18th Century.

Watch Camden County Jail on PBS. See more from Our State.